Are You interested in creating New Work?
The Queens Council on the Arts is pleased to announce the launch of the 2018 Artist Commissioning Program (ACP), to support Queens artists who create new, original works for theatre, dance and music.
What this is
The intent of the ACP is to produce new, meaningful, and significant works of art to the American canon and build a growing community of diverse Queens arts producers, artists, and audiences in Jackson Heights and Jamaica through an inclusive commissioning process for people who value art and culture.
Why this is important
In this particular moment in time, it is critical to support emerging artists who create new works of art that reflect diverse cultural backgrounds, narratives and values.
It is also important to offer equitable access to people who care about the cultural vitality of their neighborhoods but who have historically never been included in the cultural mainstream, a unique way to experience the commissioning and the creative process of an artist.
To support the diverse artist communities of this borough, Queens is positioned to be the place where art is consistently created and artists are supported.
How this will happen
The ACP will form a new structure for an “arts support culture” of art producers, artists and members of the cultural community committed to local commissioning and support of artists to create new work while building deeper relationships and providing access to the creative process of an artist.
ACP art producers will engage in thoughtful discussions about which interpretive performance art forms are important to support, where the cultural gaps are, what stories are not being told and what perspectives are important to share to commission work that reflects the value of new emerging American artists and the cultural vitality of diverse, local neighborhoods.
Who is this for
Composers, playwrights, choreographers are welcome to apply.
Artists who live or work in Queens 21 years and older as of January 1, 2017 are invited to submit an application for consideration. If selected artists must show proof of Queens residency.
Four (4) artists will be chosen by a peer panel of ACP art producers who include community members, arts lovers and supporters.
Artists will be selected based on their ability to create new art that reflects:
- Their unique stories and mixed cultural influences
- Engage in creating a legacy in art
- Enrich and expand and express a truer and more inclusive expression of American art
Each artist will receive a commission of $10,000 and a world premiere of their work.
This commission will cover:
- A professional fee
- Rehearsal and venue costs
- Performers’ fees
- Other expenses related to the creation and performance of the work
- Exclusive right to give premiere performances in Queens
- Right to make the work’s first commercial recording
- Right to be credited as the commissioner of the work in published editions, recordings, and programs of all future performances
When will this take place
Calendar of events:
- September 21, 2017 Artist Submission Deadline
- October 12, 2017 Art Producers Select Artists
- Week of October 16, 2017 Artists Notification
- October 27, 2017 Artists Orientation and Kickoff Party
- December 2017 - May 2018 Art Salons, Studio Visits, Artist Talks, & Professional Development Events (to be scheduled monthly)
- June 2018 Final Dress Rehearsal
- July/August 2018 World Premiere: July/ August 2018
Artist applications are due by 5 pm on Thursday, September 21, 2017.