become an artist commissioning program artist
are you interested in creating new works?
The Artist Commissioning Program (ACP) awards Queens-based choreographers, playwrights, and composers $10,000 each towards the creation and production of create new, original works. Our application cycle is currently closed, and we reopen in the Fall of 2018. please check back in August 2018 for details.
The intent of the ACP is to produce new, meaningful, and significant works of art to the American canon and build a growing arts support culture in Queens, as well as audiences in Jackson Heights and Jamaica through an inclusive commissioning process.
In this particular moment in time, it is critical to support artists who create new works of art that reflect diverse cultural backgrounds, narratives and values.
It is also important to offer equitable access to people who care about the cultural vitality of their neighborhoods but who have historically never been included in the cultural mainstream.
Composers, playwrights, choreographers based in Queens are welcome to apply. Artists who live or work in Queens 21 years and older as of January 1, 2017 are invited to submit an application for consideration. Preference will be given to Jamaica and Jackson Heights residents, though all Queens-based artists will be considered and are encouraged to apply. If selected, artists must show proof of Queens residency or work space. Students are not eligible to apply.
Successful artists will be selected based on their ability to create new art that reflects:
- Demonstrated capacity to create new art that presents a fresh perspective by telling untold stories, defying the cultural mainstream, or privileging underrepresented identities
- Artistic merit of submitted work samples
- Quality and clarity of the proposed project
- Overall project feasibility
- Preference will be given to Jackson Heights and Jamaica residents
Four (4) artists will be chosen by a peer panel of ACP art producers who include community members, arts lovers and supporters. Each artist will receive a commission of $10,000 and a world premiere of their work. This commission will cover:
This commission will cover:
- A professional fee: to compensate the artists for their time & creative labor
- Performers’ fees: to compensate the artists' performers, such as actors, dancers, and musicians, for their time & creative labor
- Rehearsal and venue costs: artists will work with QCA staff to select a venue that suits their work and artistic vision for the new work's world premiere
- Other expenses: related to the creation and performance of the work
Successful artists will be required to deliver a completed dance, music score or theater script by Summer 2018. These works will be performed during the artists’ world premieres to be held in July/August 2018.
- The artists retain all copyright and intellectual property rights associated with their work
- QCA retains the exclusive right to:
- Present the premiere performance of the work in Queens
- Create the work’s first commercial recording
- Be credited as the commissioner of the work in published editions, recordings, and programs of all future performances
When will this take place
Calendar of events:
- September 21, 2017 Artist Submission Deadline
- October 12-13, 2017 Art Producers Select Artists
- Week of October 16, 2017 Artists Notification
- October 27, 2017 Artists Orientation and Kickoff Party
- December 2017 - May 2018 Art Salons, Studio Visits, Artist Talks, & Professional Development Events (to be scheduled monthly)
- June 2018 Final Dress Rehearsal
- July/August 2018 World Premiere: July/ August 2018
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS? CHECK OUT OUR FAQs.